9th Annual Livermore ArtWalk
Sat Oct 9, 2010
Benefits the Bothwell Arts Center
Maps/Info at Bankhead Theater,
2400 First Street, Livermore, CA 94550
Pick up a free tour map at our information booths or in participating downtown businesses prior to ArtWalk; check back to download a copy closer to ArtWalk time.
Art invades downtown Livermore on October 9th, from 11am to 5pm during the 9th Annual ArtWalk.
Over 150 artists will set up exhibits, displaying their work in boutique shops, wine bars, restaurants, sidewalks and parks throughout the heart of downtown. Art from contemporary to traditional, pottery to painting, fused glass, stained glass, art quilts, handcrafts, and jewelry made from everything from metals to legos and fabric will be on display, with most for sale. The event is a fundraiser for the Bothwell Arts Center.
Street-pole Art Banners created by local and regional artists that livened up the approach to downtown with Public Art will be displayed for up-close viewing and will be auctioned off on Artwalk Day. Many reflect the themed challenge, “Think Green (but don’t use green paint)”, from which Waste Management, the sponsors of the banner project, will judge for their Sponsor’s Theme award. The Bankhead Theater will also host a wine bar nearby, featuring the works of some of our local vintners.
Arts Education is a big theme ArtWalk this year, with exhibits running the gamut from LVJUSD students district-wide, three local high school art programs, Las Positas College students, Pathways to Picasso’s summer program recycling container mural project, and graduates from the San Francisco Art Academy at the Bankhead Theater. ArtWalk day is the only day that the SF Art Academy show will be open to the public without a performance ticket.
This year, ArtWalk is offering limo rides to transport art lovers from the main event down to the Vine Center, to enjoy artwork at the Vine Cinema & Alehouse, Live for More Fudge and the popular Ekphrasis art & poetry exhibit at Windermere Homes.
ArtWalk 2010 continues its tradition of providing an all-day, all-acoustic music event at the Livermore Valley Plaza and capping it off with an evening performance at Panama Red Coffee House. Details on the lineup and background on the musicians can be seen on Valley SingOut’s web page at www.valleysingout.com.
ArtWalk artists will show works from contemporary to traditional, pottery to textile art, paintings, photography, handmade jewelry and more, from artists who are just beginning to award-winning professionals that display in museums and galleries across the country. Tour maps will be printed and available in participating businesses the week prior to ArtWalk; for more information, see www.artwalklivermore.org. ArtWalk can also be followed on Facebook by searching for Artwalk Livermore.
ArtWalk 2010 Highlights
• Arts Activities and Craft Vendors on J Street, between First & Second (especially fun for kids)
• Working artist studios in the Historic Old Firehouse, right across from the Bankhead Theater
• Browse several downtown gallery and art display sites that regularly show local works, including Wild Vine, Panama Red, John Christopher Cellars at Blacksmith Square, and the Ryan Fine Art Gallery downstairs from It's All About Dancing
• “Art of Dance” demonstrations by students at It’s All About Dancing throughout the day
• Get an up close viewing of the new Firehouse mural commissioned by the City of Livermore, and talk with the lead artist directly
• View group exhibits from the Sculpture Studio, a group of San Francisco Art Academy graduates at the Bankhead Theater, The Art Glass Shop, area high schools and district-wide art, Las Positas Community College, the Disabled Veteran's Painting Group, and the award-winning Path to Picasso group with their newly installed murals done on the recycling containers for the Bankhead, as well as the Christ-Centered Arts Festival/Trinity Church group and the Decorative Painting Society.