Monday, February 25, 2013

I've Got Some Lovin' to Do - The Diaries of a Roaring Twenties Teen 1925-1926- Vol. 1 edited by Julia Park Tracey


Grab an ice cold coke. Kick off your shoes and settle in to read the breezy coming and goings of Doris Louise Bailey, a 17 year old who feels the tug of life and love--and we feel
her angst and her joys with her.
 One day she loves one guy, and the next day she hates him and on it goes.


 I don't know if Doris ever saw the movie Auntie Mame, but she could agree that ''Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death". Doris was cramming the early years of her life chock full
of crazy adventures,with horses, boys, married men, car wrecks, dances and just hanging out. Of course she hated school, but managed to survive with a good education she put to use in her later years.


I cannot wait until the next volumes when Doris puts all her energies into the labor movement.
 Julia Park Tracey did a wonderful job editing her great-aunt's diary, not an easy task. 

 Julia Park Tracey 

 
In my family everyone kept a diary.  I met Jeff Beck in England. My grandfather found a 'spot' on his private parts and got mercury treatment. All written in diaries. It must be difficult to work on a diary written by a relative and Julia did it perfectly--and more volumes to come. Meanwhile I will sink into Doris' teen years and appreciate her strong lust for love and life.

Amazon Ordering-http://www.amazon.com/Ive-Got-Some-Lovin-1925-1926/dp/1475939841/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361851745&sr=1-1&keywords=julia+park+tracey


Have a listen to Fred Waring's recording from 1923. It is hilarious!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Todaу, ӏ went to the bеachfront with
my kids. I founԁ a sea ѕhell and gaνe it to my
4 year old ԁaughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе put the
shell to her ear anԁ screаmed. Thеre was a
heгmit crab inѕiԁе and
it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I knoω this
is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

Мy blоg pоst http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

In the Spotlight

Son & Father : The Two Edgar Kaufmanns

Grace Stoops Kaufmann, wife of the famous owner of Fallingwater, Bear Run, second wife to Edgar Kaufmann, Sr. Far from dying at the Kaufmann...