Saturday, April 21, 2012

Art That Moves ~ Werner Herzog

Werner Herzog

I am not going to write about movie director Werner Herzog from a scholarly point of view. It's not that I can't do that. I can. That's what I got my college degrees for. I prefer to just keep it simple and remind us what a great artist Herzog is. Of course, creating films is his art.



I have only seen four of his movies-Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Fitzcarraldo, Grizzly Man, and Into the Abyss, but I have netflix so I am going to watch as many of his works that I can.



The movies I have viewed are beautiful-even when tackling difficult subjects. Timothy Treadwell is unforgettable as the star of the documentary about the last years of his life in Grizzly Man. Another documentary, Into the Abyss, is about the death penalty using a real criminal case with Herzog interviewing the criminals and others about the case.



If you have not seen these movies, do. If you have, watch them again. You will see new nuances every time. Herzog's powerful works can affect you profoundly, even change you!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Werner Herzog Stipetić, born 5 September 1942, known as Werner Herzog, is a German film director, producer, screenwriter, actor, and opera director.
 http://www.wernerherzog.com/

No comments:

In the Spotlight

Son & Father : The Two Edgar Kaufmanns

Grace Stoops Kaufmann, wife of the famous owner of Fallingwater, Bear Run, second wife to Edgar Kaufmann, Sr. Far from dying at the Kaufmann...